Sunday, November 14, 2010

Columbus Leaves Spain 1492

Interview with Christopher Columbus: 1538 A.D

Why did you leave Spain in 1492?


I really just wanted to sail to the Indies, so in April 1492, King Ferdinand V and Queen Isabella I of Spain agreed to sponsor my sailing to the Indies.


What did you do on your first voyage?


Well, on my first voyage, I took three ships: the Santa Maria, the Pinta, and the NiƱa, we left in August.  We found this little island in the Bahamas, which I quickly named: San Salvador, and I named it for Spain.  A little later, we landed on Cuba, and the Dominican Republic and Haiti, where I left 40 men to stay, who eventually died.


How about any others?


Queen Isabella told me to sail again, and claim more land.  So, I did, and with 17 ships and 1,000 colonists, I left in September 1493.  I then landed in Dominica, Guadeloupe, and Antigua, and established the first settlement in the Americas.  My third, I discovered South America, and on my fourth venture, I got to Honduras, Panama and finally in Jamaica, where my fleet was stranded.  


Why is this important?


I found much land for Spain, and conquered a lot of land, also I established the first settlement in America.


Sources:  "Christopher Columbus." World History: Ancient and Medieval ErasABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 14 Nov. 2010.


Christopher Columbus

No comments:

Post a Comment