Sunday, November 14, 2010

Julius Caesar and the Fall of the Roman Republic (49 B.C.)

Interview with Julius Caesar; 48 B.C.

So how did the Roman Republic fall?

I had much power a long time ago.  The Senate of Rome didn't like this, and they asked me to "resign [my] command and disband [my] army or risk being declared an 'Enemy of the State'" (   ). I now had a very big decision: do what the Senate wanted, or make the Roman Republic go into a war.


So, what did you do?

I started an army to be a rebellion, so that I could gain power.  In 49 B.C, I crossed the Rubicon as a sign of rebellion, then proceeded to lead the army on an invasion of Italy and Rome into a great civil war. Once I got victory, I was named "Dictator For Life", and I ended the Roman Republic.
 
 



Why is this so important?


After my death, in 44 B.C, Constantine the Great came into power, because the Republic was down, and had Christianity be legalized. Basically, the fall of the Roman Republic changed the course and religion of Rome forever.   


Sources:  
"Julius Caesar Crosses the Rubicon, 49 BC," EyeWitness to History, www.eyewitnesstohistory.com (2002).



McPhee, Isacc. "A Defining Moment in Western Civilization." Julius Caesar Crosses the Rubicon. Suite 101, 26 Feb 2008. Web. 14 Nov 2010.

Julius Caesar Crosses the Rubicon - Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment