Sunday, November 14, 2010

Magna Carta 1215

Interview with King John of England.  Date: 1371


What is the Magna Carta?


Well it was a document I was forced to sign that said that my power as king is reduced.

What did you do to force them to make this document?


Well, I had land in France, and the French wanted it back.  When they launched a war, and winning, I got sort of mad.  In my anger, I made life harder, by making very high taxes.

Why did you sign this document?


I didn't want to, but in 1215 a group of people were fed up, armed, they captured London in May of 1215. Once they did that, they threatened Civil War, which I didn't want.  So, I told them that we should talk about it, and they made the Magna Carta, then I signed it.

Why is this important?


"Magna Carta became the symbol against oppression... a symbol of freedom under law.  Magna Carta influenced future law and constitution making, such as the Petition of Right,... the Habeas Corpus Act, ... and the Bill of Rights." ("Emerson Kent")


Sources:  "Magna Carta 1215." Emerson Kent. Emerson Kent, 14 Nov 2010. Web. 14 Nov 2010. <http://www.emersonkent.com/historic_documents/magna_carta_1215.htm>


MAGNA CARTA

No comments:

Post a Comment